click above for larger view
I drew this cover for BOOM! Studios’ Motor City Comic Con exclusive edition of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #3! The con was this past weekend, hopefully folks had a chance to snag one of these!
(I should have posted this before the con, but the last few weeks have been crazy busy–I did post a few quick pics on Instagram though… )
My good friends at Spy Monkey Creations are releasing a new toyline tomorrow–BATTLE TRIBES! This toyline is a love letter to all those crazy buff barbarian action figures you had in the 80′s, but with the added bonus of being Glyos compatible–which means you can swap parts or combine them with existing Glyos toys for some really insane combinations.
I got a sneak peek at the toys a few months ago (hashtag indie toy world insider hashtag unhumble brag), and I’ve been really excited about them ever since. So when the Spy Monkeys themselves asked me to come up with a logo and an illustration for the product launch, I was incredibly honored! Here’s what I came up with…
Be sure to follow Battle Tribes on Twitter and Instagram… and hit up their store tomorrow (April 8, 2016) at 6pm PST! Get there early to make sure you don’t miss out! Here’s a direct link to where the product will show up: http://spymonkeycreations.ecrater.com/c/2033433/battle-tribes
I did a very quick Bamboo Spark demo for the good folks at Wacom and this was the end result:
(I whipped up the colors in Photoshop after completing the lineart on the Bamboo Spark.)
And check out the video HERE!
SOOO… Have you been watching The Walking Dead all the way through the credits this season? If you have been, you might have seen the robots that I drew for Scott Gimple’s production company Idiotbox!
Been a little behind on my TV, so I didn’t realize this was already tagged on to this season’s credits–my eyeballs just about popped out of my skull when I saw it!
Fun Fact 1: Waaay back in the day, Scott was one of the folks who hired me at the day job, which is where I’m still working 18+ years later!
Fun Fact 2: This isn’t the first time I’ve drawn some robots for Gimple!
A little Halloweenish something that I drew last year but forgot to post. I’ll try to post a more substantive Halloweenish something by the end of the week…
(Yes, it was drawn on the piece of cardboard that you tear off to open a box of tissues.)
Star Trek TNG: WARPED is out today!!! Here’s a look at my process on the cover…
So! I’m the illustrator for Star Trek: The Next Generation – WARPED, an episode guide to the never aired 8th season, written by the super duper funny Mike McMahan. The book is based on his twitter account @TNG_S8, which I’m sure you’ve heard of. If not, go, follow it, love it, thank me later.
- So my name was on the official Star Trek site! My art was on the official Star Trek site! I have an entry on Memory Alpha AKA the best fan-wiki ever! I’m living out many of my nerd dreams! This is not a humble brag, I promise I’m being very overtly smug! Hashtag smugbraaaggg! Hashtag exclamation points!!!
- I have advance copies in hand, the book turned out great!
I’m super proud to be a part of this book. Please check it out if you are even remotely into funny and/or Star Trek and/or good things of any kind.
Adventure Time: The Enchiridion is out today… I drew/colored the cover! Buy it from any fine purveyor of DVDs and home video entertainment! Tell them I sent you! They won’t have any idea what that means, but tell them that anyways.
Here’s a look at the full wraparound cover without any logos or text…
Amongst everything else that’s been going on, I also managed to squeeze another side gig in…
I drew penciled/inked/colored a wraparound cover for an Adventure Time DVD: The Enchiridion! This illustration is also going to be a variant cover for Adventure Time #45 from Boom! Studios. The DVD is out on October 7th (next Tuesday!).
Okay so… obviously I can’t just start blogging again like nothing ever happened. I’ve been absent for a kajillion years! And I’m sure you, theoretical dear reader, noticed and were concerned. Nobody wants my life story, so I’ll break this down in brief bullet points:
- To summarize, I have been drawing and working on stuff, just been too busy and lazy to post it here!
- Feb 2014: My pal Dafna and I co-edited a Star Trek zine, which we released at last year’s LA Zine fest. It’s called TO BOLDLY ZINE. We sold out but you can download a free digital version HERE.
- Dafna and I were somehow able to beg/plead/blackmail a lot of our talented Trek-nerd friends into contributing, so you really should check it out. Here’s what the zines looked like, cover designed and handcut by me:
- Click on the pic below if you want a peek at the making of the zine:
- One of the features in the zine was a series of tweets written by Mike McMahan AKA @TNG_S8 and illustrated by me. Here are some of them:
- Mike dug my work and asked me to illustrate the officially-licensed-by-Star-Trek-for-reals book version of his tweets, which is the main non-day-job thing that I worked on in this year. More on that soon!
- “But Jason, you posted stuff in 2014 AFTER the zine, why no mention of it?!” I’m glad you asked that, imaginary blog reader! Basically, we had completely sold out of the zine, so there was nothing to promote! But if you were following me on Twitter or Instagram, you got the full shameless plug barrage leading up to the zine fest.
- Feb 2015: Dafna and I co-edited a second volume of TO BOLDLY ZINE, which we released at this year’s LA Zine Fest. We still have some copies left, if you’re interested, check back here (or my various social media, see the links to the right) for details! In the meanwhile, here are some looks at the AWESOME cover, designed by Dafna (btw those are Dafna’s hands, my nail polish is much more flamboyant):
- Mike and I collaborated for the zine again, this time on a children’s story about Data:
- And, I started a Tumblr (yes finally)! This was my first post:
- To clear up any confusion about the various ways I post art, this blog and my deviantArt will always be where I post finished artwork (fan art, side-jobs, and personal projects). Instagram is where I post sketches and behind-the-scenes looks at process (including stuff from ye olde dayjobbe). And tumblr will be a combination of finished works, instagram crossposts, and some best-of moldy oldies (since I’m new to tumblr and nobody knows wtf I am and wtf I’m doing there).
OKAY I’m gonna try not to be a big baby and start posting regularly again. SEE Y’ALL THEORETICAL READERS BACK HERE REAL SOON Y’ALL.
Yesterday was Batman Day; thus–
From Comic Book Resources:
Dark Horse will celebrate the 30th anniversary of Stan Sakai’s Usagi Yojimbo with the release in July of the oversized hardcover benefit book The Sakai Project: Artists Celebrate Thirty Years of “Usagi Yojimbo.” All proceeds will go to Stan and Sharon Sakai.
Sharon Sakai suffers from a debilitating illness that required an extended hospital stay and convalescence, and while she’s now back home, she requires 24-hour care and medications that exceed their insurance coverage. The Comic Art Professional Society, which spearheaded an earlier fundraiser for the Sakais, is working in conjunction with Dark Horse to produce the book.
I got to do a piece for The Sakai Project, which is a real honor. My original art is up for auction right now, and all of the proceeds from the auction will go to Stan and Sharon as well. Check out the auction HERE. The auction ends April 27th, but don’t delay–bid early, bid often, and spread the word! It’s for a good cause!
Here’s a look at my original art:
And here’s the colored version that will go in the book:
I had a somewhat long piece of glossy paper, so I decided to draw something with Sharpies. Thus, Psylocke:
This pose is pretty much a cheap rip-off of my previous post. But my holiday wishes for you, Dear Reader, are sincere… Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!