I’ve been sitting on this info for a bit, and I’m so excited I kind of don’t even know how to say it… the TL;DR version: The Starfleet uniform in “Star Trek: Lower Decks” is based on a design by me! When Mike was creating the pitch for the show, he asked me to design some possible uniforms, and so I did. One of those uniforms is like, 96% the basis for the final design that you see in the show! 😱 So naturally, I drew this to commemorate the occasion! 🤓
Additional background for those who enjoy long rambling historical context: Six years ago, before I ever met Mike, his TNG Season 8 Twitter account was already a viral hit. Dafna and I were starting a Star Trek Zine and she had roped him into writing some tweets for the zine, which I would illustrate.
The zine was a solid hit, Mike and I met and got along thick as thieves—and a few months later, Mike hired me to illustrate the book version of TNG Season 8, which was later titled “Star Trek The Next Generation: WARPED” (availableonamazonforprimeshippingsorrynotsorry).
Fast forward a few years, and last night I attended the (virtual) premiere of Mike’s show “Star Trek: Lower Decks”! I can’t believe it! (BY THE WAY, the show is hilarious and beautiful, and chock full of Easter Eggs for hardcore Trek fans! I can’t wait for everyone to watch it! ❤️💛💙)
Look, I’m already posting something (sorta) new! Colored up this old drawing of everyone’s favored bone-faced buff baddie, Skeletor!
Eek… I haven’t updated in over a year. But it’s never too late! Especially when no one is paying attention! Anywayzzzz…
- As a kid, scoring a 4-in-1 multi-color pen was like obtaining the Infinity Gauntlet of stationary supplies (before the Infinity Gauntlet was even a thing)! Also, if you can relate to what I just said, you too are an old-ass nerd. ANYWAYSSS here’s an android lady I just made up, equipped with a 4-in-1 multi-tool arm! 😎🖤❤️💙💚🖋
- Ever since I was a kid I’ve been wondering why BIC’s mascot is SO DAMN TERRIFYING… PS: no one tell this creeper that I was only able to finish this drawing with the aid of a number of non-BIC pens… 🤐
- Rogue/Ranger specializing in monster photography. 📸
- Dark Mage on a bargain hunt… 🔮💸💀
- Gladiator! 💪🐯
- A totally random smiling shark man from 2014 (yeesh!) that I never got around to posting anywhere. Drawn with red +white color pencils, silver + black markers, and white gel pen on a random cardboard scrap that felt like a good size.
- Opening panel from the l’il 4-pager (written by my BFF Josh Williamson) for the Adventure Time 2013 Annual! 👑❄️🐧
- REBEL ALLIANCE 4 LIFE 😤 (I tend to detest photos of myself, but I really liked this photo of me at Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge, so I only did a *slight* drawover. 😎)
- Remix of an older group shot of the gang…
- Some old lineart of Kylo Ren with new colors.
- That feeling when you suddenly realize you can turn in that last bounty and then relax for a few days! (I understand there is some debate about whether Ortolans have 4 limbs or 2—I went with 4, Kenner style! 🤓)
- Saurian brandy for a Saurian captain. New colors over old lineart.
- Quick Counselor Troi warm-up. New colors over old lineart.
- I’ve had GI Joe on the brain recently, and got an idea for a Storm Shadow redesign that I had to draw! (This is actually my second go at it check the Instagram post for a janky video of my previous attempt plus some in-progress views)
- For the TL;DR crowd, look, it’s Ironhide & Sparkplug! Yay, we like them, right? For lovers of long rambling: this was one of the first things I ever drew on a Cintiq, 5 years ago. It’s a weird artifact because I was using a Cintiq Companion which I never got the hang of (too heavy and too ungainly) and Manga Studio (aka Clip Studio Paint) which I never got the hang of either (because the Cintiq Companion was so awkward). About a year later I got a desktop Cintiq at ye olde dayjobbe, and I took to that much more intuitively. Over the last five years my work has become mostly digital, and I recently got an Apple Pencil and Procreate (which I am really enjoying) so I think that will push me even further into the completely digital world. I just hope this all ends with me living in the world of Tron.
- I drew this last Fall—an idea for a different way Pretender Monsters could work. 👹🤖
Lastly, here’s a pandemic postcard…✌️💙
It’s my first real go at a finished drawing with Apple Pencil + Procreate. Really happy with these new tools! ✏️📲
And that, should just about catch me up. Phew. More art coming, I’ll try to post more regularly lololololol sighhhhh. 😅
Catching up on some cool stuff that very talented folks made based on my art… from Left to Right:
Here’s a catch-up post with all of the art I’ve made for Glyos family releases in the last year or so!
First up, Warlords of Wor homage header cards…
And a whole series of illustrations for a year’s worth of new Geodraxus releases!
My friend PJ aka @spacedoutdesign had me draw this piece for the Geodraxus launch! I had a blast with this, and it was an honor to contribute a little something to Geodraxus’s first full production drop! The first wave sold out FAST, but please follow @spacedoutdesign for the latest on what’s next for the warriors from Prismiria… I suspect this is only the beginning of Geodraxus’s saga in PVC!
Double G Toys has an exclusive purple release of the new Kaiju Big Battel kaikeshi figures, and I got to draw the header card for it! They’re available to order from Double G Toys NOW: https://doublegtoys.storenvy.com/products/25917429-kaiju-big-battel-kaikeshi-set
Spy Monkey Creations has got another killer round of new Battle Tribes figures dropping on 2/09/2019! Hit up the official Battletribes Instagram account, for pics and all the details on this release!
ALSO, the illustration above (drawn by yours truly) is available as a t-shirt (and more!) on Redbubble! And browse the rest of Spy Monkey’s Redbubble offerings, they’ve got other designs available, including some of my previous Battle Tribes art!
(Celebrating Chinese New Year and 12+ years of me uploading nerdy-ass drawings unto ye olde internet… See also: http://jasonbot.com/?p=1975 )
New Glyos drop coming from from Man or Monster? Studios TODAY (1/25/2019) at 9pm EST/6pm PST! This release includes new molds of the heroic Clawbber, and the evil serpentine Elapid!
Store link is here: http://manormonsterstudios.limitedrun.com
And check the official Instagram account for pics and details about the release: @warlordsofwor
As always I have a blast when Man or Monster? has me draw an homage cover to promote a new release–this one is a tribute to a great He-Man minicomic illustrated by Bruce Timm, “SNAKE ATTACK!”
New Robo Force kits from are available NOW, hit up the Toyfinity store!
(Illustration by yours truly)
The latest wave of Battle Tribes from Spy Monkey Creations is hitting, and they’ve got some all-new molds this go round, including a very special holiday treat! These are dropping TONIGHT (12/07/2018)! Photo snagged from the official Battletribes Instagram account, hit them up for all the details on this release!
And as is custom, my good pals at Spy Monkey had me draw up something to mark the occasion!
Designer Con is imminent (November 16-18)! And I have a few contributions to share…
Man Or Monster? Studios is releasing a kinkeshi style Warlords of Wor Bog-Nar, and I drew up an homage header card for the release!
Spy Monkey Creations has a few Battle Tribes exclusives, and one of them is a debut series of enamel pins! I created the art for the Jimmy Cheeseburger pin!
Both Warlords of Wor and Battle Tribes will be at booth 2529 with tons of other goodies. Check out their official Instagram accounts for all the info:
#Inktober 31 2018 + BONUS!
Here’s a look at all 32 of my Inktober drawings…
AND, here are a bunch of color studies…
That’s a wrap on Inktober, thank you for following along! HAPPY HALLOWEEN, NERDS!!!
Catching up yet again! #Inktober 25 + 26 + 27 + 28 + 29 2018
#ThrowbackThursday This highlighter-colored goblin from 2014 was a precursor to the #Inktober sketches I’m doing. (Still using that same set of highlighters!)
#Inktober 24 2018 (ugh, cutting it way too close to the upper edge of the paper)