My buddies at Spy Monkey Creations are dropping a new wave of Battle Tribes, including a bunch of new molds/characters!
To accompany the drop, I drew another faux comic book cover showcasing the new characters (with respect and props to the style of 70′s sword & sorcery comics of course):
Be sure to follow Battle Tribes on Twitter and Instagram… and hit up their store tomorrow (June 2, 2017) at 6pm PST: http://www.spymonkeycreations.com
The custom theme I was using was having issues so I had to choose the least offensive pre-made theme that I could find. Not that anyone is paying attention (SINCE I NEVER POST ANYTHING) but I kinda hate how this blogggg looks now. OH WELL HAPPY NEW YEAR LOLOLOL
The Battle Tribes goodness keeps coming from my pals at Spy Monkey Creations! One of their exclusives debuting at Designer Con 2016 (November 19 & 20) is the Eternal Adventurer, an homage to a certain iconic 80′s barbarian!
The Spy Monkey crew had me design the logo on the Eternal Adventurer’s shield and remix the Battle Tribes logo with even more 80′s flavor–this is going to be used as a header card for the Designer Con debut figures:
But that’s not all! I designed a few more shield logos, which you can see on these reptilian badboys (these figures available for purchase NOW):
By the way, if you’ve been keeping up with the Battle Tribes releases, you can now recreate my Battle Tribes illustration which is exactly what the folks at Spy Monkey did! I love it!
Be sure to check out Battle Tribes on Twitter and Instagram for more info!
I was thinking about Simon Baz and the idea of Green Lanterns + guns, then I was thinking of the traditional Green Lantern Corps uniform with white gloves and what other characters wear white gloves and then this happened:
– RE: the ring-construct weapons… I dug up photo reference of various weapons at angles that would work for what I had in mind, arranged them fanning out in a somewhat wing-shaped collage (I bit that idea from one of The Expendables movie posters), then I did a simplified sketchy trace-over.
– The costume is basically an inverted Hal Jordan/GLC uniform mashed-up with Frank Castle’s traditional Punisher costume.
– I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that after drawing Green Lantern characters for two weeks I randomly felt compelled to draw a super nerdy crossover. This isn’t the first time I’ve drawn an unlikely Green Lantern mash-up! (Previous incidents: HERE, HERE, and HERE)
Okay, back to regular GL characters, there are still a lot that I want to draw!
Some more of the extended Green Lantern cast…
– Power Ring unintentionally looks a bit like Frank Gorshin which feels like a weird parallel of the 1980′s Super Powers Riddler action figure that repurposed the Green Lantern mold.
– I need to draw Razer in his hypothetical season 2 outfit sometime.
– I’m trying to streamline the costumes of the more modern characters, but now I’m thinking I haven’t taken it far enough.
Just sketching up some of the Green Lantern cast…
– I draw really long necks.
– Pay no attention to the completely wrong perspective on Alan Scott’s lantern.
– John Stewart has been around for so long that you could give him his classic hairstyle back and it would be hip again (so I did exactly that).
– I was trying to draw a more classic Abin Sur, but he doesn’t look enough like an alien.
Haven’t seen the movie yet, but I like Harley Quinn’s costume in Suicide Squad. I wanted to draw a version of it that was in traditional Harley colors with a more streamlined cartoony look. There’s a dash of the Amanda Connor roller derby version in there, and the tattoos are inspired by the excellent cosplayer Katy DeCobray!
click above for larger view
I drew this cover for BOOM! Studios’ Motor City Comic Con exclusive edition of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #3! The con was this past weekend, hopefully folks had a chance to snag one of these!
(I should have posted this before the con, but the last few weeks have been crazy busy–I did post a few quick pics on Instagram though… )
My good friends at Spy Monkey Creations are releasing a new toyline tomorrow–BATTLE TRIBES! This toyline is a love letter to all those crazy buff barbarian action figures you had in the 80′s, but with the added bonus of being Glyos compatible–which means you can swap parts or combine them with existing Glyos toys for some really insane combinations.
I got a sneak peek at the toys a few months ago (hashtag indie toy world insider hashtag unhumble brag), and I’ve been really excited about them ever since. So when the Spy Monkeys themselves asked me to come up with a logo and an illustration for the product launch, I was incredibly honored! Here’s what I came up with…
Be sure to follow Battle Tribes on Twitter and Instagram… and hit up their store tomorrow (April 8, 2016) at 6pm PST! Get there early to make sure you don’t miss out! Here’s a direct link to where the product will show up: http://spymonkeycreations.ecrater.com/c/2033433/battle-tribes
I did a very quick Bamboo Spark demo for the good folks at Wacom and this was the end result:
(I whipped up the colors in Photoshop after completing the lineart on the Bamboo Spark.)
And check out the video HERE!
SOOO… Have you been watching The Walking Dead all the way through the credits this season? If you have been, you might have seen the robots that I drew for Scott Gimple’s production company Idiotbox!
Been a little behind on my TV, so I didn’t realize this was already tagged on to this season’s credits–my eyeballs just about popped out of my skull when I saw it!
Fun Fact 1: Waaay back in the day, Scott was one of the folks who hired me at the day job, which is where I’m still working 18+ years later!
Fun Fact 2: This isn’t the first time I’ve drawn some robots for Gimple!
A little Halloweenish something that I drew last year but forgot to post. I’ll try to post a more substantive Halloweenish something by the end of the week…
(Yes, it was drawn on the piece of cardboard that you tear off to open a box of tissues.)
Star Trek TNG: WARPED is out today!!! Here’s a look at my process on the cover…
So! I’m the illustrator for Star Trek: The Next Generation – WARPED, an episode guide to the never aired 8th season, written by the super duper funny Mike McMahan. The book is based on his twitter account @TNG_S8, which I’m sure you’ve heard of. If not, go, follow it, love it, thank me later.
- So my name was on the official Star Trek site! My art was on the official Star Trek site! I have an entry on Memory Alpha AKA the best fan-wiki ever! I’m living out many of my nerd dreams! This is not a humble brag, I promise I’m being very overtly smug! Hashtag smugbraaaggg! Hashtag exclamation points!!!
- I have advance copies in hand, the book turned out great!
I’m super proud to be a part of this book. Please check it out if you are even remotely into funny and/or Star Trek and/or good things of any kind.
Adventure Time: The Enchiridion is out today… I drew/colored the cover! Buy it from any fine purveyor of DVDs and home video entertainment! Tell them I sent you! They won’t have any idea what that means, but tell them that anyways.
Here’s a look at the full wraparound cover without any logos or text…
Amongst everything else that’s been going on, I also managed to squeeze another side gig in…
I drew penciled/inked/colored a wraparound cover for an Adventure Time DVD: The Enchiridion! This illustration is also going to be a variant cover for Adventure Time #45 from Boom! Studios. The DVD is out on October 7th (next Tuesday!).
Okay so… obviously I can’t just start blogging again like nothing ever happened. I’ve been absent for a kajillion years! And I’m sure you, theoretical dear reader, noticed and were concerned. Nobody wants my life story, so I’ll break this down in brief bullet points:
- To summarize, I have been drawing and working on stuff, just been too busy and lazy to post it here!
- Feb 2014: My pal Dafna and I co-edited a Star Trek zine, which we released at last year’s LA Zine fest. It’s called TO BOLDLY ZINE. We sold out but you can download a free digital version HERE.
- Dafna and I were somehow able to beg/plead/blackmail a lot of our talented Trek-nerd friends into contributing, so you really should check it out. Here’s what the zines looked like, cover designed and handcut by me:
- Click on the pic below if you want a peek at the making of the zine:
- One of the features in the zine was a series of tweets written by Mike McMahan AKA @TNG_S8 and illustrated by me. Here are some of them:
- Mike dug my work and asked me to illustrate the officially-licensed-by-Star-Trek-for-reals book version of his tweets, which is the main non-day-job thing that I worked on in this year. More on that soon!
- “But Jason, you posted stuff in 2014 AFTER the zine, why no mention of it?!” I’m glad you asked that, imaginary blog reader! Basically, we had completely sold out of the zine, so there was nothing to promote! But if you were following me on Twitter or Instagram, you got the full shameless plug barrage leading up to the zine fest.
- Feb 2015: Dafna and I co-edited a second volume of TO BOLDLY ZINE, which we released at this year’s LA Zine Fest. We still have some copies left, if you’re interested, check back here (or my various social media, see the links to the right) for details! In the meanwhile, here are some looks at the AWESOME cover, designed by Dafna (btw those are Dafna’s hands, my nail polish is much more flamboyant):
- Mike and I collaborated for the zine again, this time on a children’s story about Data:
- And, I started a Tumblr (yes finally)! This was my first post:
- To clear up any confusion about the various ways I post art, this blog and my deviantArt will always be where I post finished artwork (fan art, side-jobs, and personal projects). Instagram is where I post sketches and behind-the-scenes looks at process (including stuff from ye olde dayjobbe). And tumblr will be a combination of finished works, instagram crossposts, and some best-of moldy oldies (since I’m new to tumblr and nobody knows wtf I am and wtf I’m doing there).
OKAY I’m gonna try not to be a big baby and start posting regularly again. SEE Y’ALL THEORETICAL READERS BACK HERE REAL SOON Y’ALL.