A Cheshire Cat from the archives that I never got a chance to post…
Sneaking in some art before the year is up! My pal Dylan made up a great character named Eye Spy, and as I love weird characters and puns, I thought this devilish rogue would be the ideal subject for an homage to 60’s spy movie posters/lobby cards! 🔫👁 I couldn’t resist including the standard-issue martini and cigarette as accessories, even though I have no idea how he would smoke or drink! 😅🍸🚬
A quick warm-up drawing from last week. Sometimes a rando doggo appears in your brain, and you must draw it.
Eek… I haven’t updated in over a year. But it’s never too late! Especially when no one is paying attention! Anywayzzzz…
- As a kid, scoring a 4-in-1 multi-color pen was like obtaining the Infinity Gauntlet of stationary supplies (before the Infinity Gauntlet was even a thing)! Also, if you can relate to what I just said, you too are an old-ass nerd. ANYWAYSSS here’s an android lady I just made up, equipped with a 4-in-1 multi-tool arm! 😎🖤❤️💙💚🖋
- Ever since I was a kid I’ve been wondering why BIC’s mascot is SO DAMN TERRIFYING… PS: no one tell this creeper that I was only able to finish this drawing with the aid of a number of non-BIC pens… 🤐
- Rogue/Ranger specializing in monster photography. 📸
- Dark Mage on a bargain hunt… 🔮💸💀
- Gladiator! 💪🐯
- A totally random smiling shark man from 2014 (yeesh!) that I never got around to posting anywhere. Drawn with red +white color pencils, silver + black markers, and white gel pen on a random cardboard scrap that felt like a good size.
- Opening panel from the l’il 4-pager (written by my BFF Josh Williamson) for the Adventure Time 2013 Annual! 👑❄️🐧
- REBEL ALLIANCE 4 LIFE 😤 (I tend to detest photos of myself, but I really liked this photo of me at Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge, so I only did a *slight* drawover. 😎)
- Remix of an older group shot of the gang…
- Some old lineart of Kylo Ren with new colors.
- That feeling when you suddenly realize you can turn in that last bounty and then relax for a few days! (I understand there is some debate about whether Ortolans have 4 limbs or 2—I went with 4, Kenner style! 🤓)
- Saurian brandy for a Saurian captain. New colors over old lineart.
- Quick Counselor Troi warm-up. New colors over old lineart.
- I’ve had GI Joe on the brain recently, and got an idea for a Storm Shadow redesign that I had to draw! (This is actually my second go at it check the Instagram post for a janky video of my previous attempt plus some in-progress views)
- For the TL;DR crowd, look, it’s Ironhide & Sparkplug! Yay, we like them, right? For lovers of long rambling: this was one of the first things I ever drew on a Cintiq, 5 years ago. It’s a weird artifact because I was using a Cintiq Companion which I never got the hang of (too heavy and too ungainly) and Manga Studio (aka Clip Studio Paint) which I never got the hang of either (because the Cintiq Companion was so awkward). About a year later I got a desktop Cintiq at ye olde dayjobbe, and I took to that much more intuitively. Over the last five years my work has become mostly digital, and I recently got an Apple Pencil and Procreate (which I am really enjoying) so I think that will push me even further into the completely digital world. I just hope this all ends with me living in the world of Tron.
- I drew this last Fall—an idea for a different way Pretender Monsters could work. 👹🤖
Lastly, here’s a pandemic postcard…✌️💙
It’s my first real go at a finished drawing with Apple Pencil + Procreate. Really happy with these new tools! ✏️📲
And that, should just about catch me up. Phew. More art coming, I’ll try to post more regularly lololololol sighhhhh. 😅
Catching up on some cool stuff that very talented folks made based on my art… from Left to Right:
- I was amazed to discover this custom based on some fanart I drew last year! ✨😱✨ Check out his work on FB (LNOWcustoms) or on TFW2005.com (makoaspire)!
- This drawing is by my talented pal, Dylan Cook AKA @happymonkeyshoes–he based it on one of my Inktober posts from last year and I could not be more honored! Cheers Dylan! Be sure to check this one out on his IG page, he has a process video as well!
- And another awesome one by Dylan! I’m humbled that he wanted to use my pink Inktober raptor as one of the combatants in this primal battle! Check out his Insta for a very cool WIP video on this, and much more cool art!
If it pleases you, follow along on my Instagram…
Another fantastic Glyos release coming up on Sunday (8/27, 9pm EST), this time from Man or Monster? Studios: it’s the WARLORDS OF WOR! And these guys are based off of the Spy Monkey Creations Battle Tribes figures, so you can multiply your hordes of monsters and barbarians!
Store link is here: http://manormonsterstudios.limitedrun.com
And check the official Instagram account for pics: warlordsofwor
I was asked by Man or Monster? to draw this comic book cover homage, and I had a blast (respect and propers to Gil Kane & Dave Cockrum)! Plus the Warlords of Wor characters are already classics in the world of hand-cast indie resin toys, so it’s a real honor to help promote their debut in the world of PVC production!
New Glyos-compatible Robo Force and Zeroids figures are dropping tonight! Get all the info from Toyfinity:
I’ve been a big fan of the Robo Force revival line since it started a few years ago, so it was a real pleasure to create this promotional image!
My buddies at Spy Monkey Creations are dropping a new wave of Battle Tribes, including a bunch of new molds/characters!
To accompany the drop, I drew another faux comic book cover showcasing the new characters (with respect and props to the style of 70’s sword & sorcery comics of course):
The custom theme I was using was having issues so I had to choose the least offensive pre-made theme that I could find. Not that anyone is paying attention (SINCE I NEVER POST ANYTHING) but I kinda hate how this blogggg looks now. OH WELL HAPPY NEW YEAR LOLOLOL
I was thinking about Simon Baz and the idea of Green Lanterns + guns, then I was thinking of the traditional Green Lantern Corps uniform with white gloves and what other characters wear white gloves and then this happened:
– RE: the ring-construct weapons… I dug up photo reference of various weapons at angles that would work for what I had in mind, arranged them fanning out in a somewhat wing-shaped collage (I bit that idea from one of The Expendables movie posters), then I did a simplified sketchy trace-over.
– The costume is basically an inverted Hal Jordan/GLC uniform mashed-up with Frank Castle’s traditional Punisher costume.
– I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that after drawing Green Lantern characters for two weeks I randomly felt compelled to draw a super nerdy crossover. This isn’t the first time I’ve drawn an unlikely Green Lantern mash-up! (Previous incidents: HERE, HERE, and HERE)
Okay, back to regular GL characters, there are still a lot that I want to draw!
Some more of the extended Green Lantern cast…
– Power Ring unintentionally looks a bit like Frank Gorshin which feels like a weird parallel of the 1980’s Super Powers Riddler action figure that repurposed the Green Lantern mold.
– I need to draw Razer in his hypothetical season 2 outfit sometime.
– I’m trying to streamline the costumes of the more modern characters, but now I’m thinking I haven’t taken it far enough.
My good friends at Spy Monkey Creations are releasing a new toyline tomorrow–BATTLE TRIBES! This toyline is a love letter to all those crazy buff barbarian action figures you had in the 80’s, but with the added bonus of being Glyos compatible–which means you can swap parts or combine them with existing Glyos toys for some really insane combinations.
I got a sneak peek at the toys a few months ago (hashtag indie toy world insider hashtag unhumble brag), and I’ve been really excited about them ever since. So when the Spy Monkeys themselves asked me to come up with a logo and an illustration for the product launch, I was incredibly honored! Here’s what I came up with…
Be sure to follow Battle Tribes on Twitter and Instagram… and hit up their store tomorrow (April 8, 2016) at 6pm PST! Get there early to make sure you don’t miss out! Here’s a direct link to where the product will show up: http://spymonkeycreations.ecrater.com/c/2033433/battle-tribes
SOOO… Have you been watching The Walking Dead all the way through the credits this season? If you have been, you might have seen the robots that I drew for Scott Gimple’s production company Idiotbox!
Been a little behind on my TV, so I didn’t realize this was already tagged on to this season’s credits–my eyeballs just about popped out of my skull when I saw it!
Fun Fact 1: Waaay back in the day, Scott was one of the folks who hired me at the day job, which is where I’m still working 18+ years later!
From Comic Book Resources:
Dark Horse will celebrate the 30th anniversary of Stan Sakai’s Usagi Yojimbo with the release in July of the oversized hardcover benefit book The Sakai Project: Artists Celebrate Thirty Years of “Usagi Yojimbo.” All proceeds will go to Stan and Sharon Sakai.
Sharon Sakai suffers from a debilitating illness that required an extended hospital stay and convalescence, and while she’s now back home, she requires 24-hour care and medications that exceed their insurance coverage. The Comic Art Professional Society, which spearheaded an earlier fundraiser for the Sakais, is working in conjunction with Dark Horse to produce the book.
I got to do a piece for The Sakai Project, which is a real honor. My original art is up for auction right now, and all of the proceeds from the auction will go to Stan and Sharon as well. Check out the auction HERE. The auction ends April 27th, but don’t delay–bid early, bid often, and spread the word! It’s for a good cause!
Here’s a look at my original art:
And here’s the colored version that will go in the book:
This was drawn as a gift for my pal Josh, but I wanted to try something a little different from what I usually do. I don’t ink with a brush pen all that often, and I almost never draw profile views or stick strictly to black & white/gray tones. The pose and posh attitude are, of course, influenced by the New Yorker’s mascot. Overall, I think it works?